Why You Need a Beach Holiday This Weekend (or at Least This Year)
Everybody needs a little time away from the same old, same old. Breaking away from the routine is necessary for health and well-being, especially if you feel like your work’s already burning you out and every day that you have to do it just depletes your life of joy.
Treat yourself to a holiday – you deserve it.
There are many places that you can get away to; the options are endless if you have the money for it. But if you’re looking for a place that will optimally benefit your physical and mental health, the best destination for you is the beach.
Why the Beach?
First of all, beaches are everywhere.
Second, there’s a multitude of things that you can do at the beach that you normally wouldn’t get to do where you are.
One, you can shed your stuffy clothes and feel free, and nobody will judge you for it because less clothing and not glossing over worries is the norm at the beach.
Two, going to the beach goes with all kinds of budgets. There are free beaches for the financially challenged; in the US, you can enjoy most beaches for free (particularly in California, Florida, South Carolina and Hawaii, so consider getting a USA visit visa for your holiday). There are also beach resorts for those who want first-class relaxation.
Three, most beaches already have everything you need for a weekend or a few days of just kicking back. Food, drinks, experiences, souvenirs, and entertainment – you can find all these at the beach or nearby.
And four, even doing nothing is quite satisfying if you’re at the beach. You can find yourself spending hours just staring at the horizon, feeling the wind in your hair and sand at your feet.
Do You Know That a Beach Holiday is Good for Your Health?
There are studies suggesting that if you want a healthy and revitalizing break, you should choose a holiday beside the seaside. The University of Exeter suggested that people who frequent beaches are less stressed and have better overall health.
Top health benefits of a beach holiday:
- You can get a healthy dose of vitamin D for stronger bones and healthier skin. Get some colour back to your skin by catching some rays. You’ll look healthier right away, specially if your skin had already turned sickly pale due to being cooped up in the office all the time. Not only those, the Baker Heart Research Institute in Melbourne, Australia found that increased sunlight also led to reduced stress and better sleep and appetite.
- The scent of salty water is known to stimulate the appetite. You’ll find yourself eating more, and heartily.
- Soaking in salt water can relieve you of pains because salt water has magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron, zinc and iodine – nutrients that are not only essential to good health but can also outwork pains created by your usual routine.
- Walking on sand with your bare feet is very relaxing especially if you wear shoes all the time. Sand conforms to your feet and every step you take can feel like an exfoliating massage.
- Water exercises are very effective in boosting the immune system and diminishing the pains of osteoarthritis and problems of the nervous system. Swimming or just walking waist-deep in water is a good enough exercise to ensure pain relief benefits. It’s worth adding as well that beaches are where various fitness classes are carried out; you can join those to get some much-needed exercise and even enjoy meeting new people. Let those endorphins flow and boost your health.
- You will get to enjoy fresh seafood. A beach holiday isn’t complete without eating fresh seafood items, which are good for the body or simply good for the soul. Sample different kinds of fatty fish and get those omega-3 fatty acids that can diminish stress and improve memory.
If work and other aspects of life are getting you down, treat yourself to an escape. Go somewhere that will connect you with nature and new people. Head to the beach for a weekend or several days and soak in the vibrant scene; this may be all you need to get a better perspective of life and feel good again.
Bevan Berning is an Immigration professional and owner of Pathway Visas, an Immigration Agency dealing mostly with skilled immigration to Canada and Australia. Bevan’s enthusiasm for the industry has kept in the Immigration field for the past seven years. Bevan is South African by birth and has been residing in Dubai for the past eight years.