Why Stay in a Hostel?
For travellers on a tight budget, hostels offer an incredibly affordable accommodation option when travelling around Europe. But movies like Hostels have generated a social stigma around this type of hotel stay.. So, after all is said and done, what are the advantages of staying in hostels? And are they really for everyone?
Through personal experience, I have found hostels to be quite a comfortable and interesting choice for accommodation. Here are a few of the things I have enjoyed about staying in hostels in the past:
- They are cheap. Really, it’s impossible to stress this enough.
- They offer great opportunities to meet fellow travellers. If you are travelling alone or with friends but are looking to meet up with other people who are hopping around the world, the common spaces provided in hostels provide a great place for making new connections.
- They are the perfect place from which to explore a new city. When you travel to discover new places, you don’t need a luxurious room – you just need a perfectly located room from which you will be able to easily access local attractions. And hostels are perfect for that.
- Usually, hostels give out free maps of the city which also makes your exploring much simpler and cheaper!
- Some hostels are set in truly unique buildings such as castles, medieval manor houses, or even former prisons which make for a really unique travel experience.
- Other hostels offer cool experiences like an in-house bar, barbecue lunches, entertainment nights and loads more. So you will never run out of things to do and of opportunities to meet new people
While staying in hostels offer these and many other advantages, they are not for everyone. If you are someone who values great comfort and privacy above everything else, then maybe a hotel will be more suited for your travels. But if you are someone who loves to meet new people, who wants to get advice from locals and fellow travellers on the best spots in town, and who is really looking for a cheap accommodation close to local attractions and/or major transportation hubs then give hostels a try and I promise you won’t be disappointed!