Top UK Christmas Destinations
It’s that magical time of year again: the streets are covered in pretty lights, the shop windows are decorated in red and green, and everyone seems to be a little cheerier than usual. Christmas is coming up in less than two months and it is a beautiful time to enjoy a quick weekend getaway. If you are budget-conscious at this time of year, don’t worry – you can still enjoy a magical getaway this festive season. We’ve put together a list of the best Christmas destinations right here in the UK.
1. Birmingham: With the UK’s largest Christmas Market, you are simply not doing Christmas right if you don’t stop by this charming city. Its Frankfurt Christmas Market runs from 14th November to 22nd December, offering you plenty of time to stop over and buy some new Christmas decorations, cute gifts, enjoy a cup of mulled wine or simply peruse the charming wooden shops. Birmingham has been twinned with Frankfurt for more than 40 years, so this Christmas Market is as authentic as it gets!
2. Bath: This beautiful city is worth a visit at just about any time of the year, but during the Christmas season it becomes even more special. Its magical Christmas Market fills the historical streets of the city with over 180 traditional wooden chalets. Enjoy this truly storybook atmosphere between 28th November and 15th December.
3. York: If you haven’t yet visited York, the Christmas season is one of the best times of year to stop by. Although the city doesn’t host a Christmas Market, the magical atmosphere is still in the air. A big Christmas tree is set up in St. Helen’s Square and you can find various markets and spots to enjoy a nice cup of mulled wine throughout this picturesque town.
4. Bristol: This city is an excellent stopover if you are looking to explore a host of towns on your Christmas getaway. Its charming Christmas Market (running from 7th November to 22nd December) is ideal for grabbing a bite of the delicious festive specialties including gluhvein, bratwurst, waffles, crepes, apple rings, chocolates and various cakes (our mouths are watering already!). And the best thing is there are loads of charming Christmas Markets scattered around Bristol so you can explore to your heart’s content!
5. Scottish Highlands: Again, no Christmas Market here but the beauty of the Scottish Highlands is at its peak during the festive season which makes it the perfect Christmas destination. Hop on a train from Glasgow or Edinburgh and choose the route you prefer to travel through the marvellous hills and next to incredible lakes. The relaxing train ride will allow you to relish in the beautiful snowy landscape while enjoying a festive atmosphere on board.
6. Bournemouth: Just a few hours from London, the Dorset countryside is usually more popular in the summer months but the area comes alive with a special magical atmosphere during the Christmas season. The twinkling lights covering the streets of Bournemouth create the perfect setting a pretty Christmas Markets where you will be able to find all sorts of festive ornaments and some excellent food.
7. Lincoln: This historical city is where it all began! The first Christmas Market in the UK was hosted right here just 25 years ago. Since then, the bustling market has evolved from 14 humble wooden shops to almost 400, leaving this picturesque city bursting with a magical Christmas atmosphere. It is virtually impossible not to get into the Christmas spirit when wandering through the streets of this beautiful town!
Image source: travelify.co.uk
Visit simplyholidaydeals.co.uk to find holiday discounts and deals. It is completely free and there is no obligation to purchase. It is simple and easy to become a member. Get deals in your inbox, download our iPhone or Android app and get deals on your mobile, or follow us on your favorite social network. So, show your support and join the 60,000 plus others to date who have joined Simply Holiday Deals and let’s travel the world together…at discounted rates.