Top Greek Holiday Destinations You Should Know About
Greece’s 227 islands bathed by crystal clear waters and its historical mainland cities and towns make it a must stop for any kind of traveller. Whether you are looking to enjoy stunning beaches, breath-taking natural scenery, a buzzing nightlife, or discover incredible historical sites and charming villages, Greece has something to offer you on your next holiday. But if you don’t know where to start your next Greek adventure, take a look below at some of the best destinations in this magnificent country.
1. Athens: The capital of Greece, this is a must stop for anyone travelling through the country. Since 2004, the city has been magnificently restored and today it presents a beautiful mix of pretty gardens, picturesque streets and incredible historical sites. The Acropolis and the Temple of Olympian Zeus are just two of the majestic sites you can visit during your stay in this ancient city.
2. Santorini: If you can only visit one Greek island in your lifetime, make it Santorini. With the world’s most beautiful sunset, exquisite volcano landscapes and unique beaches, this island is a must on your bucket list. Stay in Fira to enjoy an exciting nightlife and stunning views or opt for Oia if you are looking for a quieter spot to enjoy your romantic getaway. The beaches may not please everyone’s taste (they are characterised by black and red volcanic sand) but the amazing views and clear water more than make up for it.
3. Hydra: In case you are looking for a more peaceful getaway, Hydra’s still undiscovered charm renders it one of the prettiest and most typically Greek islands. Despite its spectacular beaches and pleasant weather, the island is still largely unspoilt by tourism which means you get all the perks of a great sunny holiday spot with the added charm of typical Greek life. The car and motorbike ban on the entire island make it ideal for those looking for a unique experience.
4. Mykonos: This infamous island is best known for its exotic beaches and exciting nightlife. If your next holiday plans consist of having a wild time with friends, Mykonos is the place to go to! Enjoy the hot Greek sun during the day and then head to the buzzing beach bars to enjoy a spectacular sunset and dance the night away.
5. Crete: If you like to do a little bit of everything when you’re on holiday, Crete is your perfect Greek destination. With majestic rugged mountains ready to be explored, a vast coastline filled with tropical beaches, ancient cities and towns with loads of historical remains to be discovered and a distinct local culture, you can do it all in Crete.
6. Thessaloniki: Although this northern Greek city is not exactly cheap, it is the country’s cultural capital and for that alone it is worth even just a short trip. Named one of the world’s “ultimate party cities” by Lonely Planet, this magnificent city also offers a pretty beach promenade, large shopping venues, some of the best Greek cuisine and beautiful Byzantine churches garnished as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
7. Olympia: This sanctuary from ancient Greece is known as the birthplace of the Olympic Games. The first ancient Games took place here in the 8th century BC and were dedicated to Zeus. Today, you can visit the temple of Zeus, the temple of Hera, the Ancient Stadium, the workshop of Pheidias and other constructions. You won’t be doing Greece right if you don’t make some time to discover one of its most historical sites!
Image source: searchpp.com
Visit simplyholidaydeals.co.uk to find holiday discounts and deals. It is completely free and there is no obligation to purchase. It is simple and easy to become a member. Get deals in your inbox, download our iPhone or Android app and get deals on your mobile, or follow us on your favorite social network. So, show your support and join the 60,000 plus others to date who have joined Simply Holiday Deals and let’s travel the world together…at discounted rates.