Must See Attractions in Abu Dhabi
The capital city of UAE that shares the same zeal for challenging the world records as its neighbor Dubai, Abu Dhabi has everything, from modern skyscrapers to cultural architectures. It has one of the world’s best entertainment theme parks and historical museums, yet the city has a distinct tranquility about itself. It has a subtle charm that differentiates it from the hustle- bustle of Dubai.
This industrial and commercial hub of UAE was initially habited by the Bani Yas tribe in the 1700s. Until the oil was discovered, Abu Dhabi was nothing more than a simple fishing village. The growth chart of Abu Dhabi from an almost non- existent village to the capital and one of the most developed cities of UAE, is phenomenal.
Just an hour and a half drive from Dubai, Abu Dhabi is a must visit. To help you capture the essence of the city, we bring you the best places to see in Abu Dhabi.
- The Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque- The Landmark of Abu Dhabi
Known as one of the best attractions of Abu Dhabi, the Sheikh Zayed grand Mosque is a mammoth structure beautifully clad in the Macedonian marble and aesthetically designed celebrating the Islamic beliefs. For those looking to indulge in the spectacular historical architecture both in exteriors and interiors, Sheikh Zayed grand Mosque is the right place.
- It can hold 40,000 worshippers at a time. Visitors can take a tour of the mosque except during the prayer times.
- Non- Muslims are allowed inside and can also visit the big library for better insight into Islamic religion.
- It has the world’s largest loom carpet in one of its prayer hall. Tourists arrive in large numbers just to get a glimpse of the carpet.
9am-10pm Saturday to Thursday, 4.30-10pm Friday.
Tours- 10am, 11am & 5pm Sunday to Thursday, additional tours- 2pm & 7pm Saturday, 5pm & 7pm Friday
- Falcon Hospital- the largest in the world
The love for owning a Falcon goes long back in the history of Arabs. Since centuries, Falcons are not only a favorite pet but has also remained a status symbol for the Arabs. So, having a place to treat them and provide them with medical attention seems obvious. A one of its kind and the largest Falcon hospital in the world, it caters to the injured and sick falcons along with offering guided tours to the visitors.
- Opened in the year 1999, the Falcon hospital gets around 11,200 patients every year for treatment.
- In 2011, it started its own falcon breeding center
- It has a large fully equipped operation theatre, recovery room, and an air conditioned waiting room for the Falcons who wait to be treated.
- The guided tour of the hospital includes the visit to the falcon museum, free- flight aviary, and the examination room. Tours reservations have to be booked beforehand.
Timings for tours:
2pm onwards on Saturday, 10am & 2pm on Sunday- Thursday
- Abu Dhabi Corniche
Generous promenades, beautiful white sandy beach fronts and spectacular views of the skyscrapers in the backdrop, the Abu Dhabi waterfront Corniche is the perfect place to relax. It gives you an ideal opportunity to take a break from the mechanical routine and soak in the beauty of the seafront.
- Famous for various recreational activities and landscaped gardens, it’s the perfect place to spend a relaxed day with family and friends.
- You can rent a bicycle to wander the entire stretch or simply get yourself a sun lounger on rent to take a relaxed sun bath.
- Go to the inland of the corniche and enjoy exotic sheesha cafes especially during the evenings.
- On the western section of the stretch, sumptuous eateries are flocked by hungry visitors almost all through the day.
- Yas Island
This manmade island is one of the best places to visit in Abu Dhabi. Created with an aim to make it an ultimate leisure and entertainment destination, a part of the island is still under construction. The part that has public access boasts of the famous Yas Water World, Ferrari world, Yas Marina circuit, Yas links golf course, and Yas beach. The island has many hotels and numerous restaurants that extend with the best of hospitality and service to their guests.
- Yas Island organizes championship golfing with world class facilities.
- Home to the Formula 1 racing circuit, The Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix is organized here.
- Yas Island has some of the best and most luxurious accommodations in the world.
- It has the Ferrari World theme park, one of a kind theme park in the world featuring the world’s fastest roller coaster.
- Ferrari World
This one of its kind amusement park located at the manmade Yas island of Abu Dhabi holds the record of being the largest indoor theme park in the world. Spread in an area of 86000 square meters, it boasts of best of the rides in the world. It also has a racing and driving school for children. Ferrari World is one of the most visited tourist attractions in Abu Dhabi by people from all over the world.
- It has the Ferrari’s largest merchandise store in the world.
- It houses the world’s fastest roller coaster accelerating to an unimaginable speed of 240km/hour in just 4.9 seconds.
- It offers 3D animations, jaw- dropping acrobatics and optical illusions, all at one stage.
- It has the world’s biggest Ferrari logo ever created.
- It features all the Ferrari car models starting from the year 1947 till date.
Every day from 11:00am till 8:00pm
Abu Dhabi may be home to shopping mega centers, sky high ultra-modern architectures but it has carefully preserved its rich cultural heritage. Whether it is the desert safari in Abu Dhabi, highest high tea restaurant, or the best of entertainment options, Abu Dhabi is a perfect opportunity to enjoy the best of the modern world attractions without being overwhelmed. An exciting city that still breathes a relaxed and calm air, Abu Dhabi gives you the much needed vibrancy of the capital city without compromising on your peace of mind.