Holiday Packing: Our Top Tips to Pack Like a Pro While Travelling for Christmas
Whether you’re going on holiday this Christmas to visit family or to enjoy a getaway somewhere exotic, travelling over the winter holidays can prove to be both a dream come true and a nightmare of all sorts. Besides all the logistics of family travel, you now have to worry about one more thing: packing. In addition to the usual clothes, accessories, family gear, winter essentials, you need to add one more thing to your bursting suitcase: Christmas gifts. But don’t worry – there are plenty of ways to make sure that the frantic packing will not ruin a perfectly jolly time of year.
If you are starting to stress about how you’re going to manage to travel with limited space in your luggage this year, read below for some of our top tips to pack like a pro this festive season.
First, it is important to know exactly what you need to pack. To figure that out, ask yourself the following questions:
1. How long will you be away?
2. Are you travelling by plane, train, bus or car?
3. What is the weather going to be like at your destination?
4. Will you be giving all, some or none of your Christmas gifts while travelling?
5. Can some of those gifts be categorized as fragile or oversized gifts?
6. Will you be doing any specific activities that require particular gear or materials?
7. Are you travelling with children?
Now that you know exactly what you are packing, it’s time to figure out exactly where and how you are going to pack it. We’ve focused on packing like a pro for travelling by airplane because that is what usually entails most restrictions but these tips can be applied to practically every means of travel.
1. Wear your heaviest items. Of course, you should still be comfortable, but things like winter boots and jackets can be worn en route and put away in your overheard compartment during your flight. This will save you loads of much needed space in the rest of your luggage pieces.
2. Make the most of your carry-on luggage allowance. Your checked luggage will be filled with gifts, larger items, and all sorts of things you can’t take past the security check-point. But your carry-on can still be a useful place to pack clothes, accessories, smaller shoes and even gifts. Plus, airlines usually allow you to take a personal carry-on in addition to your carry-on luggage so make the most of it by taking a large bag and filling it up!
3. If you have room, pack your gifts in your checked luggage. Avoid wrapping your gifts as most airport securities hold the right to unwrap any wrapped items. Carefully tuck more fragile gifts (such as a bottle of wine or a ceramic vase) in the middle of your suitcase. Wrap them in bubble wrap and make sure they are surrounded by soft items (i.e. clothes) on all sides to avoid them from breaking.
4. If you are concerned about the fragility of your gifts, take them with you on the plane. Beware, though, of airport security restrictions of carry-on items.
5. You can always ship your gifts in advance to your destination. Of course, this requires purchasing your Christmas presents well in advance, but it could be very much worth it! Not only can it save you money in some cases (i.e. when airlines charge for checked luggage), it also saves you space in your luggage for carrying other essential items and it could prove to be a safer way to ensure all your gifts arrive safely at your destination. Many shipping companies offer tracking and insurance services, which make them much more trustworthy than regular airlines who can’t be held accountable for your lost items unless you have purchased a very specific type of insurance.
6. Make sure to leave some extra room in your luggage. If you are travelling to celebrate Christmas away from home, you are likely to be receiving some gifts of your own while away too. Packing an empty duffel bag will be perfect for carrying the gifts you receive while travelling on your way back home.
7. Have yourself a merry little Christmas!
Image source: quotes.lol-rofl.com
Visit simplyholidaydeals.co.uk to find holiday discounts and deals. It is completely free and there is no obligation to purchase. It is simple and easy to become a member. Get deals in your inbox, download our iPhone or Android app and get deals on your mobile, or follow us on your favorite social network. So, show your support and join the 60,000 plus others to date who have joined Simply Holiday Deals and let’s travel the world together…at discounted rates.