The Best Cities to Visit Museums Worldwide
We travel for many reasons. To enjoy a week in the sun, to have an adventure in the wild, to create memories as a family, or to simply get away. Sometimes, though, we travel with one very clear purpose: to truly discover and get to know the city where we’ve jetted off to. One of the best ways to do it is to immerse ourselves in a city’s history and cultural. Lucky for us travellers, there are plenty of cities around the world that have beautifully captured their cultural heritage in state-of-the-art museums and galleries. Find out which ones they are below.
1. London, UK: As the capital city of a country that played an enormous role in World History, it only makes sense that London is filled with an immense number of museums that cover just about every angle of its historical and cultural heritage. With museums dedicated to just about everything from football to dentistry, you will be sure to find exactly what you’re looking for in this bustling city.
2. Paris, France: France’s historical cultural and artistic influence simply can’t be ignored, and it’s all impeccably laid out in its capital’s spectacular and numerous museums and galleries. From the world-renowned Louvre to its numerous independent galleries and more than 20 national museums, Paris is the epicentre of European culture.
3. New York City, USA: A vast city such as New York could simply not be left out of a list such as this. Popularly known as one of the world’s best museum cities, New York’s incredible cultural diversity and lively art scene make it undoubtedly one of the most interesting cities to discover. Popular museums such as the MoMA, the Met, the American Museum of Natural History and the Ellis Island Immigration Museum are just some of the cultural gems waiting for you to discover them.
4. Mexico City, Mexico: Home to over 150 museums, Mexico City’s rich and diverse cultural heritage means that its museums and galleries depict a variety of topics and historical moments. Artifacts from different cultures and brilliant pieces of art all combine to create one of the most interesting places in the world to discover.
5. Athens, Greece: The birth of Western Civilisation, it is hard to find a city with as much historical importance as Athens. And the best part of it is that it’s all extremely well preserved, meaning that you can witness with your own eyes the spectacular relics of Ancient Greece that have survived to this day. The Acropolis Museum, the National Archaeological Museum and the Byzantine and Christian Museum are just some of the gems you need to discover in this city.
6. Washington, D.C., USA: The capital and political center of the United States, Washington is America’s gift to science and history buffs. Besides the Smithsonian Institution (which is considered the world’s largest museum complex), you will also be able to find incredible cultural sites such as the National Museum of American History, the National Gallery of Art, and the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
7. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Amsterdam in itself already feels like a museum with its picturesque 17th century canals but its museum scene goes way beyond that. Beautifully honouring the country’s undeniable historical influence in the arts, the museums of Amsterdam take advantage of the wealth of art and cultural artifacts available to create spectacular showcases. The Van Gogh Museum is a must, as is the Rijksmuseum, the Rembrandt House and the Anne Frank House.
Image source: coolhdwallpapers.net
Visit simplyholidaydeals.co.uk to find holiday discounts and deals. It is completely free and there is no obligation to purchase. It is simple and easy to become a member. Get deals in your inbox, download our iPhone or Android app and get deals on your mobile, or follow us on your favorite social network. So, show your support and join the 87,000 plus others to date who have joined Simply Holiday Deals and let’s travel the world together…at discounted rates.